3.06.2011

Edibles...

I have recently started to make sculptural cakes and cupcakes, trying to learn the techniques.  Here are a few of the delicious beauties I have made so far:

More photos can be found on my flicker ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/gravystrudle/ ) in the edibles set.  The first image is one of my Valentine's cupcakes with gumpaste flowers.  Working with gumpaste is not too bad, a lot like clay in some ways.  I had some problems with cracking but other than that they turned out pretty nice!

Here is the little cake I made for Valentine's Day.  It is a strawberry cake with chopped up strawberries inside and a fudge icing on the top.  Continuing the theme of strawberries I sliced a strawberry into thin slivers and made it into a rose- seen in the detail here.

The most recent edibles I have made were for a celebration of the Tibetan New Year last night.  This year is the year of the iron hare- hence the rabbits.  They are made of chocolate that I melted and piped on wax paper.  I'm looking forward to exploring this technique further to create some more intricate designs.  Keep an eye out for more edibles- I have St. Pat's, my daughter's birthday and MANY more special occasions calling for (or being an excuse for) fantastic looking and tasting treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment